Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I found myself sitting at the Parents Night,

surprised not so much with the act that I found time to attend, but the fact that I am actually here.

That it is time.

That for all these years Parents' Night was something to attend for my own mother (not that she would show up much since I was ten), parents of my classmates and  friends, and now my friends and their own children, and colleagues and their children... and now they came for me

I am ready to do this for the next 20 years; or a little longer if everything goes as planned :) I do like the idea that for the next couple of decades I will be doing certain things that will not bring immediate reward or will be appreciated neither by the immediate beneficiary nor by my family on the whole, but yet I will know that they will yield lots of benefits in the long run, will make my role in my family most efficient and my time I spend with them most productive. I know the right things to be done, and I will follow through. And being selfish as I am - can't help thinking that it will be a great training on becoming a smarter, wiser, quicker, stronger person.

Speaking of children - in plural - I keep hearing occasional voices of the world outside my head, saying that having children - in plural - with a small difference in age is a tough enterprise. That it  is a difficult, exhausting and overall yacky experience that would slow you down and mess up your life. That as a woman you have to realize you can't have it all and need to get your priorities straight: is what you want more a family or career? Serving other people around you or achieving your own goals? Making sure your children are enrolled in sports and take dancing classes or being able to afford to travel altogether with your family?  Having your left arm or right arm?  I giggle when I hear all these voices outside-my-head - what in the world can they know! -  but I almost feel sorry for those women they get to.

And as earlier today, at lunch, I was sitting at the same table with quite a few interesting people I felt very lucky for having crossed my path with those who can inspire and prove with their own experience that there are plenty of options in life - just stretch your arm out. It is possible to have a large family and be a professional and  one of the leaders in your area. It is possible to go through the trouble of getting all the necessary education and help provide all necessary education to your children later in life. It is possible to get to the level where you can be friends with your top clients and continue living a busy social life. It is possible to go to the mountains for skiing and raizor rides at the age of seventy, and take trips around the world or bike to Alaska at the age of seventy. And feel good in your skin, and be happy.

Just aim at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment