Sunday, May 10, 2015

Using our first weekend in-town together as a family in a while

we went to give Dr Chill his first haircut. Never thought a toddler can be so good about having a stranger do something to his hair: as long as he could look into the mirror from time to time and figure out where the buzzing or clinging sounds come from, he would continue to sit patiently without a single whine, and Von Zobel's and my responsibility would boil down to keeping various toys in front of him so he kept his head straight (something even I am not always able to do during a haircut).

With an accurate trim all over his head, Dr Chill started looking 4 months older and acting at least a year more mature  :) with a serious look, he courageously took 3 trips in store carts around 3 different stores that day; became extremely hungry after the haircut but survived to get a snack pouch at a store (although not to upset him too much, I, for the first time in my life, allowed him to start eating the puree from the pouch before I paid for it at the check out.

The next hour and a half was spent looking for a plastic bucket, and - using the bucket - deep cleaning carpets in our condo - a real all-family activity. Sr. Director Chill was grabbing my hand and  pulling me from a room where the carpet was being cleaned to the bathroom so I could fill the bucket with hot water and solution, and then was pulling me back so I could replenish the water in the cleaning machine. It's amazing how he just picks up what's going on in a matter of seconds!
He was also trying to paint the walls in the bedroom using the new brush and roll I'd just bought, for "Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?"(c)




Nearly made it on time for the afternoon nap, which gave me some time to study and catch up with my to-do list stuff. The guests arrived at 6 for a nice big pot of beef and veggie roast, portobello mushrooms, bacon wrapped artichoke, green salad and a cheese tray, blueberry cake, macaroons and fruit. The next few hours were filled with great warm conversations and watching Dr Chill and his lady guest play together - and he was really great about playing with her, sharing toys and even crawling with her around the house! A real gentleman at his 20 months!

Later at night - quick clean up and nearly passing out with a movie, drinks and cheese and berry left overs. Another month to live a productive and intense family and social life. And then - we'll see how it all goes and what I make of it. But for now - that's what May 9th should definitely be like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment